Monday, July 14, 2008

Bangalore and Traveling in India

Last Sunday - yesterday - I decided that after two weeks in Bangalore it would be time to leave my much loved technology park, at least for a couple of hours, to venture into downtown Bangalore. Yes, of course, I have been there before, but all I knew was basically the area around MG Road - and that was it. I decided to give it a start with some of the best-known sights in Bangalore, namely the Vidhana Soudha and its neighbouring building, the Vikasa Soudha which house the state parliament. I took the bus to Kempe Gowda bus station (for those of you ignorant of the history of Bangalore: Kempe Gowda is widely claimed to be the guy who 'officially' founded the city) and had a good walk to finally reach my destination. (In India it always looks so easy on the map, 'ok, the big road to the left and after half a mile at the next corner to the right and I am there', but in practice it is quite a task to navigate between new buildings and temporary road layouts, to cross six lanes without a traffic light in sight. All this combined with my marginal sense of orientation, I am now planning my travel at the speed of 1 kilometer per hour if I am trying to get somewhere. Seriously. But since I enjoy the process of traveling itself this is actually something I am quite happy with.)

But now let's see where I actually went:

The Vikasa Soudha - as I understand a kind of auxiliary building in support of the legislative body, the Vidhana Soudha. Located close to MG road and generally the center of Bengaluru.


The Vidhana Soudha (i.e., the actual parliament building) - from far away ...

... and from a bit closer. My definite favorite is the 'Government work is God's work' inscription at the top - you gotta trust your government, so please read this again and again until you believe it.

Selling sweetcorn in front of Cubbon Park, right next to the government building. Quite a nice park indeed - and popular with the people of Bangalore, too.

Having a smoke while selling ice-cream. (Or to be precise: Currently not selling ice-cream, therefore having a smoke.)

Having no smoke while selling no ice-cream.

Crossing the street.


Religion and business.

An art gallery, next to Cubbon Park. It is difficult to see from the picture, but in real life the colors in this situation were just incredibly powerful.

Not running out of fruit anytime soon...

If your head hangs low sometime - you can get cured.

After walking through Cubbon Park I attempted to get back to the place I knew in Bangalore: MG Road (yes, again at my conventional speed of about 1 kilometer per hour, after taking the wrong turn a couple of times, crossing some military planes as statues on the street etc.) And finally I was there and back at MG Road again (here at the western end of it)! It was, surprisingly, emotionally touching to be back again. I think not in particular because I connect any memories with this place, but I have the feeling that I understand India now better than I did before - say, it used to be 1%, and now it is 2%. But still. It gets boring if there is nothing left to discover.

On my way back to Kempe Gowda bus station I passed the Bangalore Horse Racing Club - I should come back next time to watch a race and do some betting. It was amazing to see people who didn't get admitted to the race sitting everywhere on the street, following the outcome of every race on the radio or on TV screens.

Evening is coming, time to pack your things and go home.

Which one is my bus? Thank God it's Sunday, that's why it was so empty at the bus stand.

Back at the ITPB. It really felt like coming home this day and it was good to venture into downtown Bangalore.

11 comments:

kumardmk said...

I learnt more about bengalur from ur pictures :-)

Ajay Jain said...

Nice post and nice information too. I read your post. It's really nice and I like your post. It’s very simple to understand........Thank you for sharing.

www.apjtours.com

fourwheeldriveindia said...

India is a very beautiful country. Each part of the country is blessed with marvelous natural beauty.if you are planning to take a tour trip of India then India tour Packages is best for you.

hotels in manali said...

fantastic stuff provided thanks for sharing

Home Stead Bangalore said...

Really its a great stuffs and thanks for sharing the information with us.
Best Hotels in Jayanagar Bangalore

Unknown said...

We are one of major lease company in wardha, we have extensive range of best it park for all size organizations lease. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...


It’s never too late to develop your data and your contents really excite me a lot.
MY india tourism

Unknown said...

Thanks for nice sharing. You can also find Real Estate Information is getting easy in Wardha IT Park. We are one of the best IT park in India. For further information visit us today.

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this blog i have lot of information know this blog of Tour Packages in Bangalore

Unknown said...

Wonderful food !! Good service. The Door delivery is very good as well. They value the regular customers very well.
Restaurants in Bangalore

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing this list with us. Are you looking for office building for lease and cheap office space in IT park for your organization??? Wardha IT Park is the best place for your company.